Thursday 20 January 2011

Fashion: Walking the walk

Yesterday, I popped into London for a meeting and catch up with the editors of a couple of fashion blogs I write for. The ladies I met up with are lovely, super-friendly and very, very trendy. The kind of ladies that can actually pull off tough ankle boots with floaty dresses.

Now, London often makes me feel a little 'country bumpkin' (which, I should mention, is nothing to do with the people I meet who are usually lovely.) It's more of a self-concious thing I've always had, particularly when I'm heavier. If I'm honest, I always felt more fashionable and confident when I was a size 12. I was more likely to take risks with fashion and everything sat better when I was slimmer. Even heels were easier to walk in.

In London, where everyone seems to have jumped off the catwalk, that feeling is pushed under a microscope.

I know I'm supposed to 'embrace my curves.' But there's a difference between curves and...well, too much belly. As a size 16, 5ft 4in apple shape, I fall into the latter category. I know there are plenty of ladies that look gorgeous as a size 16, but I'm sadly not one of them (otherwise I'd continue my ongoing relationship with weekly curries)

And being fashionable is important to me (there, I said it!) After all, if I'm writing about fashion, shouldn't I actually be wearing some of the stuff I write about?

Potentially, I'm going to be visiting and working in their office a couple of times a month soon. Which has given me even more of an incentive to get back into my size 12 jeans. Building my confidence on fashion might seem shallow, but it's a great motivator for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment