Tuesday 2 November 2010

Day One: Weight Watchers gets fruity

simple fruit saladImage by elana's pantry via FlickrThe first day of the Weight Watchers ProPoints Plan Challenge has arrived, and I'm attempting to get my head around the new system. No easy task when you're also trying to delete everything you know about the old system from your mental hard drive.
As anyone who's been to Weight Watchers meetings before will know, weight loss involves breaking those old bad habits, and starting new, healthier habits. But at the moment, it's a bit of a habit to zoom into the calorie content of product labels, and to veer away from the fruit aisle at the supermarket. Two things the new plan helps you to avoid.
It's taking a bit of adjusting getting used to new ProPoints values and trying to calculate things without the use of eSource (until it relaunches this weekend.) But I've found I'm already making much smarter and healthier food choices.
Take this morning for instance. Instead of my usual toast or bagel, I enjoyed a bowl of bran flakes, topped with a sliced banana. That banana made all the difference between an 11am and a 12.30pm tummy rumble.
Having stocked up the day before, I was able to tuck into fruit throughout the day, rather than a weight watchers bar or a piece of toast. Consequently, I had more energy and avoided my 4pm slump.
So, here's how I got on for my first day.
Day One
Breakfast
Bran Flakes and milk: 5 ProPoints
Sliced Banana: 0 ProPoints
****
Lunch Two slices of pork from last night's dinner: 4 ProPoints
Mixed vegetables: 1 ProPoints
Mixed berry fruit salad: 0 ProPoints
****
Afternoon Snack
One pear, sliced: 0 ProPoints
Handful of grapes: 0 ProPoints
40g portion of cheese, cubed: 5 ProPoints
****
Nando'sImage by Robboguy via FlickrDinner
Nando's Chicken pitta (no mayo, one slice of cheese): Guess around 14 ProPoints?
Not hideous, and I definitely felt full. It still feels a bit strange, being able to eat fruit for free, but hopefully I'll adjust by the end of the week. It's worth noting however, that a bowl of fruit isn't going to keep you going all morning. You'll need to add a bit of protein or carbs to keep you ticking over.

 

Are you trying the new ProPoints plan? Let me know how you're getting on!

No comments:

Post a Comment