Monday 9 April 2012

Is taking a diet holiday worth it?

Last week, I took a week off the diet. I know, I know! It's a lifestyle, not a diet. But thanks to birthday celebrations, a strange week at work and Easter, it seemed to make more sense to give myself a break from stressing about food then adding pressure to the week.

I put on a couple of lbs last week thanks to that break, so I've probably postponed the stress rather than giving myself a rest. I'm not surprised, as there were several meals out, several glasses of wine (I rarely drink usually) and next to no exercise. But I actually think that taking a break sometimes is a good idea. It gives you time to rethink your goals, re-evaluate how bad some foods make you feel (a week-long headache would suggest that it really is best for me to keep the chocolate and fizzy drink consumption to a minimum) and look at how you can improve.

Diet and Fitness buddy

One of the other things to happen in the last couple of weeks, is that Pete's best friend (and Best Man) and his girlfriend have moved just round the corner. It means I've got a workout buddy three minutes walk away - so we're going to hit a dance class this week and squeeze in some walking. I've shamefully avoided exercise this year, aside from some Xbox dancing, so I'm looking forward to getting moving.

All four of us are trying to shift some weight, so it's a good opportunity to have some healthy dinner parties too. There's a new app on the Weight Watchers Facebook app that lets you plan a healthy supper and invite guests in one go. They've got 60 recipes so there's plenty to choose from.

There are some screen grabs below if you want to see how it works.

Lisa Faulkner is the face of the supper clubs, and she'll be involved in a Thai Green Curry ‘cook-a-long’ on Thursday 12th April at 7pm on the Weight Watchers’ Facebook page.

Do you like the idea of a supper club? Or would you rather organise one yourself? Let me know in the comments.

p.s I've also been busy saving my favourite recipes into an album on my iPad, to create a directory of my favourite meals and help me plan future weekly eating plans easier. Do you have any geeky ways to help with your weight loss?


No comments:

Post a Comment